This is an onshore provisional visa designed for overseas students who have completed their studies in Australia but do not as yet meet requirements for the permanent skilled visas.
By applying for the 485 visa as an interim measure, it will give the students a chance to gain working experience, or attend a professional year in Australia, or improve their English language skills before applying for permanent residence.
• Primary applicant must have held ‘eligible student visa’ in last 6 months, and
• Have satisfied the ‘Australian study requirement’ within last 6 months
• Not have held a Skilled Graduate (485) or Skilled Recognised Graduate (476) visa as a primary applicant
• Be aged under 50 at time of application
• Have competent English
• The 485 visa, once granted, cannot be extended and persons who do not meet the criteria for any other visa will be expected to depart Australia.
Post-Study Work Stream
• Only available to students who applied for and were granted their first student visa on or after 5 November 2011
• It provides successful applicants with bachelor degrees or higher to be granted the 485 visa for a longer period of stay
• Bachelor and Master degree will get 2 years
• Masters (by research work) degree will get 3 years
• Doctor degree will get 4 years
Graduate Work Stream
• Need to nominate a skilled occupation on the SOL (Schedule 1)
• Have completed a favorable preliminary skills assessment
• Successful applicants under this stream will be granted the 485 visa for 18 months